Sunday, November 21, 2010

Driving while connected



In one of the pew reports a survey found that forty seven percent of adults have text while driving and seventy percent of adults have talked on a cell phone while driving. Although I have never text while driving, I admit that I have talked on a cell phone while driving. To be honest I am a little surprised that the number of drivers who use their cell phone while driving isn't higher. The convenience of cell phones and the danger of driving distracted is something that continues to be discussed on the community and state level.

Here is a link to a public service announcement made in England (the video labeled as graphic so be aware). Using these shock videos is nothing new, you can probably remember videos in school about drugs and using a seat belt. Many of these videos become something of school yard legends and inside jokes. Even posted on youtube they become targets to jokes on the comment boards. With all the jokes targeted at these sort of videos, the effectiveness of these sort of warnings has to be questioned.

Unfortunately warnings like those to stop using cell phones while driving go unheeded until something truly tragic happens. So we have local governments try to enforce cell phone bans, but even this kind of punishment is sometimes not enough. Why are people willing to put themselves in danger simply because we feel like bad stuff can't happen to us or is it some kind of need to stay connected?

6 comments:

  1. Great post and very eye opening. I try to minimize interaction with my cell phone while driving. If I do interact with it I have been trying to use the voice features to dial calls for me, search for phone numbers or dictate a text for me. Google has done a great job of providing features in the Android OS, that prevent the need for one to take their eyes off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am horrible about being on the phone while driving. I just got a new car that has blue tooth in it so at least now I don't have to hold the phone but I'm not sure how much better that is. I'm still concentrating on the phone conversation when I should be concentrating on driving. I consider myself a very cautious and alert driver but I know talking on the phone can't help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be interesting to see what the ultimate outcome is. I did briefly scan a study the other day which suggested 'no texting while driving' laws had no effect on accident rate - or possibly caused a slight increase. The theory was people tend to hold their phone lower in their lab to avoid being seen texting. This causes the drivers eyes to be even further from the road than if they held the phone near the wheel if there was no worry of being caught.

    Personally, I do everything I can to minimize the use of the phone while driving - but the urge to stay connected is strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus... They showed that clip of the bus hitting the SUV like six times. I cringed every time... kind of like the Allstate commercials in which the guys keeps getting in horrible accidents.

    I NEVER text and drive (although I rarely text at all, for that matter) but I do use my phone on speaker phone a lot. I wonder how much worse that is than singing along with the radio?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is very important we do something to curtail the dangers of mobile device use while driving. Personally I use my device minimally while driving and don't text while I am driving unless I am at a stop light. When I was teaching my oldest son how to drive he went to answer the phone while he was driving. Let's just say this was an opportunity for me to parent! Everyone please be mindful of what you are doing behind the wheel and always remember that no phone call or text is worth another's life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and graphic reminder: texting while driving is a tragedy waiting to happen. I work as a paramedic and have seen first hand the effects of driving while distracted. I'm afraid it'll take many more lives to bring the problem into sharp focus, much like the drinking and driving campaign of the 80s and 90s. Thanks for the post and video.

    ReplyDelete