Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 4 Aha

This week's aha is based one one of the TED videos I watched. 

When I think about the most important items I carry, my cell phone is not among them. In fact, I really hate phones. Most likely the reason is due to the fact that I am the main person to answer the phone at work. In fact, there was a period of time a few months ago where I did not have a phone for about two weeks. Did I miss it? No.

However, I did acknowledge the fact that it would have been nice to have the phone so I could check my Facebook page when I was away from my laptop. Or the computer at work.

When you really think about it, phones are way more than just verbal communication devices. I read, or watched a news report, recently stating that cell phones are now utilized for many purposes other than talking. Like the video inferred, they are used for internet, paying bills, and texting. It was only a couple short years ago when I hated texting. Now, it is my most preferred method of communication.

So, what would be among the items I need with me?  I would agree with the video that it the most important would be keys and money.  As for a third item? That would have to be the soft cloth I use to clean my glasses. I still ascertain that I could get by without a cell phone. If forced.

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I would be lost without my cell phone. It has everyone's phone numbers in it. Some I have written down in my address book but some are not. I would hate to lose it!

    While I detest talking on the phone, I text all the time. (It is my preferred method of communication as well.)

    I really don't think I could get by without my cell phone. As a matter of fact, I know I couldn't. Makes me wonder how I managed before I got one :-)

    Posted by Ande Gibbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree tha phones are used for way more than just talking. Although I don't text much, I do use my phone for both voice and email communication. What I missed most when I was without my cell phone for several days earlier this year were the calendar and contact lists. Yes could get by without my phone, but like my wallet, I wouldn't leave the house without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on this one since I can't stand talking on the phone. Like you, many jobs in the past required heavy phone use during the day and by the end of the day the last thing I wanted to do was have something next to my ear.

    Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone. However, internet access dominates it usage. Many kudos to you for being able to go without one, but until you are stuck on the side of a road at dark in rural Oklahoma driving a U-Haul with a flat tire, you might see the advantage of having a phone with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, that actually *has* happened to me!

    Except, it was a blown clutch, and it happened on the way back from a girls trip to New Orleans. We actually got stranded in Ponchatoula, LA.

    Of course, we were 18 at the time, and this was before cell phones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about cell phones. I am not yet on board with the multi-use phones. I use my phone for calls, text and picture. That is it. I have considered upgrading to one of the new high-tech phones, but can't justify it.

    ReplyDelete