Saturday, October 23, 2010

Joseph's a-ha moment

For someone who is just over year removed from the dorm life experience I was well aware of how large Facebook has become. I did no very little about how Facebook was created, only that it was created by and for college students. Now I now the name Mark Zuckerberg and maybe even some of the real story of what went into the creation of the network site. The speed by which the site went from an exclusive ivy league network to a global wide sensation is outstanding. It is important to remember that these online relationships can never replace true face to face interaction, and of course what you say online can have real consequence for your real life relationships.

6 comments:

  1. You are onto something with people forgetting that the online world directly relates to the relationships in the real world. Were you shocked by the relationships ending with a simple status change or were you already in the know since you just left the dorm scene?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I was not familiar with the Zuckerman name....now that we've studied the Facebook phenomenon it's ironic that the TV, the newspaper, the radio, the internet advertisements...everywhere either his name or the Facebook icon is there. It really makes me curious about what could be in the future. His plan, according to an article I read, is to make Facebook "the" only social network. He is well on his way for sure. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know more and more individuals and organizations who have started to realize the impact of posting things on the internet. Things that may seem innocent at the moment can be misconstrued and have terrible consequences. Trying to help the youth understand the impact of their actions is hard, and many times they only learn from their actions. Hard lessons sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, one of the main concerns I have with Facebook is privacy. I use Facebook frequently for business and I love the features that it has and the amount of communication that I can accomplish all through one site. However, I do feel that there is some vulnerability by exposing my identity and thoughts with so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also went to see The Social Network this weekend and went into it knowing nothing about the movie. It was good to learn about the background and beginnings of Facebook but I must honestly say if I were to judge the movie and its own merits, I would give it a C+. What does everyone else think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also enjoyed finding out how Facebook was created. I am on facebook everyday and I had no idea. It is so true about what you say online can have a real impact about your real life relationship. Facebook is almost something people need to have rules to follow to use.

    ReplyDelete